Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com is offline

Default Do i let Santa Rosa plums ripen on tree?

On Jul 7, 10:44 pm, John Savage wrote:
" writes:
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think
it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from
within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must,
though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention
elephants ...

I did a search. It is called plum bloom and it is a protective coating
that prevents the fruit from drying out,