Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Tomatoes not growing...

In article fc.003d0941022c46063b9aca0032ef83f8.22c46c9@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

I wouldn't mess with landscaping fabric or a tarp; they are just too
lightweight for vehicle traffic. You can get a length of road fabric,
geotextile, from a contractor supplier, that will be very good; I use the
woven (vs. nonwoven) which is much better and comes in the wide widths.
In 1982-83, Crown Zellerbach had a massive world-wide advertising campaign
introducing it to engineers, departments of transportation and contractors
which brought it into the "modern" mainstream. Of course, like all
successful products, many others started manufacturing it so there is a
wide variety available now, even root barriers. Geotextile fabric is now
required under the rock/gravel on roads and freeways. There, it is to
keep the dirt and gravel separate so the gravel doesn't work into the
dirt; it decreases gravel use and road failure resulting in substantial
savings, both at construction and in later repairs. Because it is
designed to hold up with gravel and rock, it will work for your driveway
traffic. It cannot be torn but must be cut; puncture rate is extremely
low, it's tough stuff, especially the woven. One of the widths in which
it comes is 12-foot. At our supplier here, we can order ahead and get
custom lengths or you can buy an entire roll (100-feet is one of the roll
lengths I think). This is not to be confused with landscaping fabric
which is very much lighter weight.

That's awesome! :-)
I did not know about that stuff.

Thanks!