Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Friend or foe?

On 8/7/07 17:48, in article , "Beryl
Harwood" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

snip

I suppose we're part of nature, too and deserve our own habitat therefore.
But what seems to me to be important is to teach children how to live *with*
what is around them rather than in spite of it. As top of the food chain I
think it rather depends on us to do that.

True, whilst I know we can't go back to the kind of life lived by the
native americans had [still have in some places I think] I wish we could
follow the love/care and understanding of the earth that they had. I
still fully appreciate all the modern 'luxuries' like bathrooms,
dishwashers, cars etc,etc. It would be hard to give them up even if
sometimes I would love to be able to live a simpler life.

Beryl

Perhaps - slowly, we're moving towards an adjustment to a less hectic way of
life. I would find it very hard to give up central heating and a decent
bathroom but I could live without a dishwasher, even while I appreciate
ours. I enjoy travelling abroad enormously but - selfishly - I've reached
an age where I don't find it essential to do so and do see it as more of a
luxury than anything else.
It strikes me, in writing this, that while we're told that we have to build
more housing for immigrants, as well as for those already in this country,
there appears to be no forward-planning given to housing for our other
inhabitants, the wildlife whose habitat is destroyed to make way for all
those houses.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk