Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Friend or foe?

I saw the most lovely sight as I drove home this afternoon. Coming up the
lane towards me was a young deer, galloping along because another car was

They played havoc with my last garden, so much so that I gave up the veg
plot. Yet it still inspired me when a Stag Red deer took stance in the
middle of the road and eyeballed me early one morning whilst his harem of
six does crossed safely. It reminded me of the racehorse trainers stopping
the traffic in Newmarket whilst his trainees cross behind him.

Mike

Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/7/07 16:39, in article , "Beryl
Harwood" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 6/7/07 19:50, in article
,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I saw the most lovely sight as I drove home this afternoon. Coming
up the
lane towards me was a young deer, galloping along because another car was

They played havoc with my last garden, so much so that I gave up the veg
plot. Yet it still inspired me when a Stag Red deer took stance in the
middle of the road and eyeballed me early one morning whilst his harem of
six does crossed safely. It reminded me of the racehorse trainers stopping
the traffic in Newmarket whilst his trainees cross behind him.

What a fabulous sight and why does nature have to be so *difficult*? ;-)

Agreed, a wonderful sight - but it is us that are difficult, not nature.
We keep wanting to use the space they need for other things, roads,
homes, gardens, removing their natural habitat. It is a difficult
situation and such a pity we are unable to run our lives in a manner
that does not compete with theirs. This is in no way a criticism of
those trying to earn a living from the land.

Beryl

I suppose we're part of nature, too and deserve our own habitat therefore.
But what seems to me to be important is to teach children how to live *with*
what is around them rather than in spite of it. As top of the food chain I
think it rather depends on us to do that.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-07-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote:

[...]

True, whilst I know we can't go back to the kind of life lived by the
native americans had [still have in some places I think] I wish we could
follow the love/care and understanding of the earth that they had. I
still fully appreciate all the modern 'luxuries' like bathrooms,
dishwashers, cars etc,etc. It would be hard to give them up even if
sometimes I would love to be able to live a simpler life.

Beryl

Old 08-07-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Beryl Harwood wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

"Muddymike" wrote:

I saw the most lovely sight as I drove home this afternoon. Coming
up the
lane towards me was a young deer, galloping along because another
car was

They played havoc with my last garden, so much so that I gave up the
veg plot. Yet it still inspired me when a Stag Red deer took stance
in the middle of the road and eyeballed me early one morning whilst
his harem of
six does crossed safely. It reminded me of the racehorse trainers
stopping
the traffic in Newmarket whilst his trainees cross behind him.

What a fabulous sight and why does nature have to be so *difficult*?
;-)

[...]

There was a nice Native American proverb quoted on the Live Earth concert:

children.'
--
Bob

openSUSE 10.2 x86_64, Kernel 2.6.18.8-0.3, KDE 3.5.6 r31.4
Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/7/07 17:48, in article , "Beryl
Harwood" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

snip

I suppose we're part of nature, too and deserve our own habitat therefore.
But what seems to me to be important is to teach children how to live *with*
what is around them rather than in spite of it. As top of the food chain I
think it rather depends on us to do that.

True, whilst I know we can't go back to the kind of life lived by the
native americans had [still have in some places I think] I wish we could
follow the love/care and understanding of the earth that they had. I
still fully appreciate all the modern 'luxuries' like bathrooms,
dishwashers, cars etc,etc. It would be hard to give them up even if
sometimes I would love to be able to live a simpler life.

Beryl

Perhaps - slowly, we're moving towards an adjustment to a less hectic way of
life. I would find it very hard to give up central heating and a decent
bathroom but I could live without a dishwasher, even while I appreciate
ours. I enjoy travelling abroad enormously but - selfishly - I've reached
an age where I don't find it essential to do so and do see it as more of a
luxury than anything else.
It strikes me, in writing this, that while we're told that we have to build
more housing for immigrants, as well as for those already in this country,
there appears to be no forward-planning given to housing for our other
inhabitants, the wildlife whose habitat is destroyed to make way for all
those houses.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/7/07 18:08, in article , "Bob
Williams" wrote:

Beryl Harwood wrote:

[...]

I like that *very* much.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

... the conclusion was "if you were on a desert
island would you rather your companion was a merchant banker or a
nurse'!

The answer would be the same, for me, regardless of the situation :-)

Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Williams" wrote:

Beryl Harwood wrote:

[...]

I also like:

"Only after the last tree has been cut down.
Only after the last river has been poisoned.
Only after the last fish has been caught.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."

- Cree Indian Prophecy

How very true. We were with a mutual friend this w/e and were discussing
this kind of thing and the disparity of money earned to good produced etc.
and the conclusion was "if you were on a desert island would you rather your