Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa Nyssa is offline

Default most nutritious cultivar of broccoli/cauliflower?

wrote:

i like these two species because conventional wisom has it that they
produce the most nutrients per square foot of garden space.

Which cultivars are the champs at nutrient contents?

The other day, I ate at a "Ruth's Chris" steakhouse. The broccoli
sidedish, which by the way wasn't included with the steak, cost $8.
BUT, it was the sweetest broccoli I have ever tasted.

Is it possible that they _cheated_ somehow in preparing (it was
steamed) it, and artificially sweetened it?

Adding a "pinch" of sugar to vegetables while they cook
(and to many fruits) is a standard commercial chef's trick.

Too much sugar and too much salt and too much butter/fat
seem to be the rule in many restaurant kitchens.

As far as varieties of broccoli, I tend to favor
Early Dividend and Premium Crop. I've also had good
results with Packman. I have no idea about the relative
nutritional contents of each, but they taste good and
give me reliable crops which is what I'm after in my
small area of garden space. YMMV.

I haven't grown cauliflower in years. It takes up
too much space for the payoff compared to other things
I could be growing. And it's fussy about being blanched
and such too. Sorry I can't help with that one.

Nyssa, who only eats restaurant food once a month