Old 09-07-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default small bushes or ground cover for bad soil

On Jul 7, 1:53 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Is there a plant or small bush that can be used in areas where the soil is
terrible?

I have a section of ground around my patio right over the septic tank that
has terrible fill dirt soil, lots of rocks, and one part gets full sun and
another shade from a big Doug Fir. So I'm looking for something that
doesn't have huge roots, and will survive in the Seattle Area. I was
looking at Periwinkle, but that is a bit too aggressive for me - I don't
need any more invasive species in my yard. I've also ruled out Ivy due to
the habit of vermin using it as a home.

Just something leafy and maybe flowers.

Look into Lamium, or if your climate allows "Brass Buttons"