Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Green water and algae

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:25:27 CST, "KerplunKuK"
[dot]uk wrote:

~ jan wrote:
Is this a liner pond? Have you done any mortar or recent cement work?

Liner pond with no recent cement work. However we have been suffering awful
rainfall. Copious quantites requiring water to be removed from the pond to
stop overflowing.

Do you know what the KH/buffering is? If you don't have a kit, and
don't have easy access to getting one, take a pH reading at dawn &
dusk (or as near as possible to those times).

Ordered a test kit and will post as soon as it arrives.

If having heavy rain, more than likely your buffering is zip. While waiting
for test kit, I suggest adding 1 cup of baking soda per 1000 gallons. This
will not increase a pH over 8.4 already. It will stabilize it. Some say it
will bring a high pH down, but it never worked for me, and I used 4
lbs/1000 gallons at the time. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us