Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Green water and algae

I have tried everything to get rid of my green water and algae, but nothing
is working.
My pond is not overstocked, I am not overfeeding and I have copious
quantities of plants.

Today a friend brought round a test kit and these are my results.

pH 8.6
Ammonia NH3/NH4+ 0.0ppm
Nitrate N03- 10ppm
Nitrite N02- 0.0ppm

I see the pH is too high, but what do these results show? How do I lower
the pH?

What else can I do?

Thanks

Scott

--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:31:01 CST, "KerplunKuK"
[dot]uk wrote:

I have tried everything to get rid of my green water and algae, but nothing
is working.
My pond is not overstocked, I am not overfeeding and I have copious
quantities of plants.

Today a friend brought round a test kit and these are my results.

pH 8.6
Ammonia NH3/NH4+ 0.0ppm
Nitrate N03- 10ppm
Nitrite N02- 0.0ppm

I see the pH is too high, but what do these results show? How do I lower
the pH?

What else can I do?

Thanks
Scott

Is this a liner pond? Have you done any mortar or recent cement work?

Do you know what the KH/buffering is? If you don't have a kit, and don't
have easy access to getting one, take a pH reading at dawn & dusk (or as
near as possible to those times).

Take a measurement out of the tap, aerate for an hour. Check the pH & KH.
If the pH & KH numbers are good, do 20% water changes every other day for
about 4-5 times. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In news:, DCLong scribbled:
Are you using a UV light?

Yes. It has a new bulb and sleeve to make sure it is working correctly.
--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Is this a liner pond? Have you done any mortar or recent cement work?

Liner pond with no recent cement work. However we have been suffering awful
rainfall. Copious quantites requiring water to be removed from the pond to
stop overflowing.

Do you know what the KH/buffering is? If you don't have a kit, and
don't have easy access to getting one, take a pH reading at dawn &
dusk (or as near as possible to those times).

Ordered a test kit and will post as soon as it arrives.

Thanks
--
XBL : D0C RAY

Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:25:27 CST, "KerplunKuK"
[dot]uk wrote:

~ jan wrote:
Is this a liner pond? Have you done any mortar or recent cement work?

Liner pond with no recent cement work. However we have been suffering awful
rainfall. Copious quantites requiring water to be removed from the pond to
stop overflowing.

Do you know what the KH/buffering is? If you don't have a kit, and
don't have easy access to getting one, take a pH reading at dawn &
dusk (or as near as possible to those times).

Ordered a test kit and will post as soon as it arrives.

If having heavy rain, more than likely your buffering is zip. While waiting
for test kit, I suggest adding 1 cup of baking soda per 1000 gallons. This
will not increase a pH over 8.4 already. It will stabilize it. Some say it
will bring a high pH down, but it never worked for me, and I used 4
lbs/1000 gallons at the time. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

your nitrates are pretty high for a pond not overstocked.
what is your hardness?
rain water should drop the pH, so your well water probably is loaded
with calcium.
try shading your pond.
I got rid of my algae using a bucket filter with polyester batting.
had to toss the batting when it clogged, but you gotta trap the algae
and get it out of the system or it will just dump the nutrients back
in. that is what the UV filter is doing.
Ingrid

[dot]uk wrote:

I have tried everything to get rid of my green water and algae, but nothing
is working.
My pond is not overstocked, I am not overfeeding and I have copious
quantities of plants.

Today a friend brought round a test kit and these are my results.

pH 8.6
Ammonia NH3/NH4+ 0.0ppm
Nitrate N03- 10ppm
Nitrite N02- 0.0ppm

I see the pH is too high, but what do these results show? How do I lower
the pH?

What else can I do?

Thanks

Scott