Old 10-07-2007, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
[email protected] shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com is offline

Default Mistletoe killing an apple tree?

On Jul 9, 2:32 pm, wrote:
Dear All,
I have a sick apple tree which is *covered* in mistletoe. The
variety is Howgate Wonder. It is about 30 years old and it had more
mistletoe than apple leaves and stems and the apple leaves are scruffy and
yellowed. The really strange thing is mistletoe shoots are emerging all
over its branches. As I understood it, mistletoe propagation requires
seeds to be inserted into the bark (eg. by birds) -- I'm sure this cannot
be the case here. It is as though the mistletoe has 'invaded' the apple
tree's tissues and taken over. Does this make an botanical sense and has
anyone seen anything like this before?

A few months ago I cut off most of the mistletoe but the tree still looks
pretty sick. Is there any hope for it?

Thanks
Tom

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.

What i know of Misstletoe is the seeds germinate and the plant grows
into the vascular tissue of the tree, which cuts off food and water
supply. I think if it's not too severe you could probably prune out
the branch with the parasite. I've heard in severe cases, it can kill
a tree.