Old 10-07-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice needed: Thai chili plants and their peppers stopped growing

"Chris Metzler" wrote in
message ...
Hi. I'm having a very odd experience with Thai bird chili plants I'm
growing right now.

I've successfully grown them in the past in the ground; this is the first
time I've tried growing them in containers. The plants look great -- very
healthy. But they've stopped growing entirely, like they've hit some
kind of wall; the ones I've grown in the ground in the past never did
that.
Well, OK, maybe that's because they're producing a lot of peppers -- many
more than did the previous plants I've grown -- and since I've let them
go the plant is putting all its efforts into growing peppers. But the
other thing that's odd (and the reason why I've let the peppers just grow)
is that the peppers themselves have stopped growing. They're 1/3 the
length, and slightly fatter, than the Thai chilis I've grown in the past.
It's as if the plant went into suspended animation, with nothing --
including the peppers themselves -- growing beyond a certain point.

I would almost think I've got the wrong plants except I bought started
plants at two different places, one of which I've bought them from in past
years, and they're both the same.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks.

-c

Although lack of nutrients *could* be the issue, I'd be more inclined to
blame the fact that they're growing in containers. The soil temperature is
the same as the air temperature. Many plants don't do well that way.
Although it's not a great solution in all cases, shading the pots may help.