Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Information on wild ducklings please

Having posted this on UK Birdwatching and not getting much response I
thought that I would try here. Mind I think by being too clever and
heading the question "S.O.D help please" (Save Our Ducks) may have put
peeps off reading it.
So, I have about a 1/2 acre garden surrounded by rabbit proof fencing,
in which I have a pond about 6x4 metres and 1 metre deep, around which I
have allowed a little wild garden. There is a pool just outside my
garden. A wild duck has recently hatched out nine chicks on the edge of
my pond, great. While sitting she was able to fly out of the garden for
feed, I assume. Now of course because the chicks are trapped so is she.
Will they do ok within this area (the rest is mainly cropped lawn) or do
they need more food? How long will it be before they can fly? I do not
want to permanently breech the fence or the rabbits will eat my plants.
If I let them out in the morning will they return well before dusk? What
should I do owt or nowt? TIA