Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Information on wild ducklings please

Having posted this on UK Birdwatching and not getting much response I
thought that I would try here. Mind I think by being too clever and
heading the question "S.O.D help please" (Save Our Ducks) may have put
peeps off reading it.
So, I have about a 1/2 acre garden surrounded by rabbit proof fencing,
in which I have a pond about 6x4 metres and 1 metre deep, around which I
have allowed a little wild garden. There is a pool just outside my
garden. A wild duck has recently hatched out nine chicks on the edge of
my pond, great. While sitting she was able to fly out of the garden for
feed, I assume. Now of course because the chicks are trapped so is she.
Will they do ok within this area (the rest is mainly cropped lawn) or do
they need more food? How long will it be before they can fly? I do not
want to permanently breech the fence or the rabbits will eat my plants.
If I let them out in the morning will they return well before dusk? What
should I do owt or nowt? TIA
Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Phew - tricky one !!
I would imagine they might need some assistance with extra food......

A quick Google brought these up, which might be useful:
http://www.phelpswaterfowl.com/Duckling_Care.htm (ducklings in captivity)
http://www.callducks.net/feeding_ducklings.htm

I also found several recipes for "duck a la orange"..........but that's
maybe a bit premature "~)
Jenny

Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

A local school had the same delightful problem. It was resolved when the
ducklings flew off with Mum but I don't know how old they were. A duck they
THINK it's the same one) comes back to the spot every year to rear her brood
in safety. Make the most of it!

Mary

Old 10-07-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Wash your mouth out Jenny!

Since posting this the duck and ducklings have disappeared. No sign that
the ducklings have been eaten, yet I'm blessed if I can work out how
they got out. Ducks can't carry their young like cats can they? Oh dear,
I hope this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)
Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jul, 14:52, Broadback wrote:
Since posting this the duck and ducklings have disappeared. No sign that
the ducklings have been eaten, yet I'm blessed if I can work out how
they got out. Ducks can't carry their young like cats can they? Oh dear,
I hope this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)- Hide quoted text -

I'll make sure it doesn't ... And it's Canard A l'Orange ... See me
after class Jenny ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?hkp50NCM2X

Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jul, 15:02, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Yes, but what's the French for a l'Orange?
:-)

Go on ...

Old 10-07-2007, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Red wine goes well with duck..................."~)

Since posting this the duck and ducklings have disappeared. No sign that
the ducklings have been eaten, yet I'm blessed if I can work out how they
got out. Ducks can't carry their young like cats can they? Oh dear, I hope
this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)

Could their be a hole in the fence somewhere?
Jenny

Old 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

If there is Jenny, and I only checked it last week, then the rabbits
will sure find it, sigh. Sadly it is the most likely explanation. If so
I so wonder if they will be home this evening to roost.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes

Since posting this the duck and ducklings have disappeared. No sign
that the ducklings have been eaten, yet I'm blessed if I can work out
how they got out. Ducks can't carry their young like cats can they? Oh
dear, I hope this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)

There was something in - I think it must have been - the BTO garden
birdwatch magazine about a bird doing this - not a duck, maybe a grebe?
Carrying its young one by one between its feet.
--
Kay

Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 5:29 pm, K wrote:
Broadback writes

Since posting this the duck and ducklings have disappeared. No sign
that the ducklings have been eaten, yet I'm blessed if I can work out
how they got out. Ducks can't carry their young like cats can they? Oh
dear, I hope this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)

There was something in - I think it must have been - the BTO garden
birdwatch magazine about a bird doing this - not a duck, maybe a grebe?
Carrying its young one by one between its feet.
--

I'm sure I saw something about Penguins doing this also??

Judith

Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

I hope this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)- Hide quoted text -

I'll make sure it doesn't ... And it's Canard A l'Orange ... See me
after class Jenny ;o)

We call it duck with marmalade ...

Mary

Old 10-07-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 7:32 pm, Sally Thompson
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:59:56 +0100, wrote
(in article .com):

On Jul 10, 5:29 pm, K wrote:
Broadback writes

Since posting this the duck and ducklings have disappeared. No sign
that the ducklings have been eaten, yet I'm blessed if I can work out
how they got out. Ducks can't carry their young like cats can they? Oh
dear, I hope this does not develop into a cat thread! ;-)

There was something in - I think it must have been - the BTO garden
birdwatch magazine about a bird doing this - not a duck, maybe a grebe?
Carrying its young one by one between its feet.
--

I'm sure I saw something about Penguins doing this also??

If Broadback has penguins in the pond, then we all have a serious climate
change problem :-)

Tee HeeG

Judith