Old 31-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Air layering

Only that pines are difficult to air layer. I would never try to
layer one in a forest over which I had no control and which I
could not visit regularly to ensure that the layer stayed damp
but not wet -- especially for the length of time it will take for
roots to appear on a layered pine -- sometimes a matter of more
than a year.

I MIGHT try to layer a pine that _I_ was growing in MY yard (or
in another pot). But even so, the chances of success (at least
for me, who has little feeling for pines) are so slim I probably
wouldn't try it.

However, you have nothing to lose but a little time and work. I
suggest you get a horticultural reference BOOK that explains the
process of layering in some detail. www.evergreengardenworks.com
has an on-line article, I believe, but I suspect it doesn't refer
to pines.

I _certainly_ would practice on several easier species of plant
before I tried a pine -- elms are an excellent practice Genus, as
are Rhododendron.

Good luck.

David Thoreau - Walden

Can you please be more specific. What should I do
to make it work? The tree is in a forrest, and has one
great branch. The branch is about 6-7 cm in
diameter.

Thanks,

Zvonimir from Croatia

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
In a message dated 3/31/03 4:09:58 AM,

writes:

Is it possible to air layer a pine tree. It han one

beautyfull
branch.

Zvonimir from Croatia

Yes.