Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Mistletoe killing an apple tree?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:32:09 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Dear All,
I have a sick apple tree which is *covered* in mistletoe. The
variety is Howgate Wonder. It is about 30 years old and it had more
mistletoe than apple leaves and stems and the apple leaves are scruffy and
yellowed. The really strange thing is mistletoe shoots are emerging all
over its branches. As I understood it, mistletoe propagation requires
seeds to be inserted into the bark (eg. by birds) -- I'm sure this cannot
be the case here. It is as though the mistletoe has 'invaded' the apple
tree's tissues and taken over. Does this make an botanical sense and has
anyone seen anything like this before?

A few months ago I cut off most of the mistletoe but the tree still looks
pretty sick. Is there any hope for it?

Thanks
Tom

Your tree was most likely compromised to begin with. Then the
parasite seed was pooped out of a bird on the tree, the mistletoe put
its main root into the tree and it is now overtaking it. Your tree is
dying. Don't waste time. Just cut it down and plant some other type
of tree there. Do not plant another apple there. You can plant
another apple on some other area of your property.