Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wane Smooth Wane Smooth is offline

Default Goldfinch weed ID please-some pics

Wane Smooth explained on 10/07/2007 :
After serious thinking K wrote :
Wane Smooth writes
Uncle Marvo laid this down on his screen :
in , I, Marvo, say :

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
Hi all.My lawn in covered with weeds.Amongst them are a lot of one
type that the goldfinches come to eat regularly.
At first glance it looks like a young dandelion (there are a lot of
those)but the surface of the leaf and the spine underneath are
covered in sharp spines.
Any ideas on what this weed is,thanks.

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Thistles??
Chris S

A goldfinch's favourite food is thistle seed, so I reckon you're right.

Hi thanks for the quick replies. There are thistles in that area but they
have their spines along the edge of the leaf,is there a variety of thistle
that is as I described above?
Unfortunately with exquisite timing I've just run the mower over them,so no
pic!

Ox-tongue, Picris echiodes. Not a thistle, but in the daisy family, as are
dandelions and thistles. It has rough leaves with spines growing from
pimples on the surface of the leaf - very characteristic.

Sounds right here are some pics,the larger plant was amongst my beetroot.
Picris echiodes?

Bugger,*here* are some pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8760537@N06/
:/