Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default pest 'n plant ID please

Lol writes
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly obvious -
so let em have their fun:-

1.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

Not caterpillars (they'll never grow up to be butterflies)
Rose sawfly

2.And (while I've got the camera out there) am surrounded by a yellow wild
flower I'm not accustomed to
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...w%20flower.jpg
wassat then - wild mustard???

Yellow corydalis (you weren't paying attention to the other plant id
thread, were you? ;-) )

Couldn't be wild mustard - mustard is in the cabbage family, all of
whose species are characterised by having 4 petals arranged in a cross
formation. Other members of the family include Honesty, Dame's Violet,
and Night-scented stock. Shape of flower, number of petals etc is a
better aid to identification than colour, and it's well worth getting to
know the major families - much less of a burden on the memory if nothing
else ;-)

I don't think yellow corydalis is a UK native (1) - it's a garden
escape, and it can be invasive for those lucky folks who can grow it.

(1) Although it is still a wild flower - but in S Europe, not here. Many
of our garden plants are the wild flowers of other countries (and the
rest are selected or bred from wild flowers).

--
Kay