Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pest 'n plant ID please

i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly obvious -
so let em have their fun:-

1.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

2.And (while I've got the camera out there) am surrounded by a yellow wild
flower I'm not accustomed to
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...w%20flower.jpg
wassat then - wild mustard???

thanks,
lol

Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Lol
writes
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly obvious -
so let em have their fun:-

1.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

2.And (while I've got the camera out there) am surrounded by a yellow wild
flower I'm not accustomed to
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...w%20flower.jpg
wassat then - wild mustard???

Corydalis lutea. If you want to know what wild mustard looks like google
for images of Sinapis alba (white mustard), Sinapis arvensis (charlock)
and Brassica nigra (black mustard).

thanks,
lol

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-07-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry, the caterpillar was
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
(very carefully on a separate line!)

Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jul, 15:03, "Lol" wrote:
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly obvious -
so let em have their fun:-

Hahaha!!! Kidding ;o)

1.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

Rose sawfly caterpillars.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 11 Jul, 15:03, "Lol" wrote:
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly
obvious - so let em have their fun:-

Hahaha!!! Kidding ;o)

1.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

Rose sawfly caterpillars.

They might be rose sawfly larvae. I don't think they're caterpillars at all.

If they are sawfly larvae, you don't want them.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jul, 15:49, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

They might be rose sawfly larvae. I don't think they're caterpillars at all.

I call them caterpillars because they look like a caterpillars put
tongue out

If they are sawfly larvae, you don't want them.

No indeed. Shouldn't you be in a warm county by now Uncle?!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 11 Jul, 15:49, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

They might be rose sawfly larvae. I don't think they're caterpillars at
all.

I call them caterpillars because they look like a caterpillars put
tongue out

They do a bit. Now put it away :-)

If they are sawfly larvae, you don't want them.

No indeed. Shouldn't you be in a warm county by now Uncle?!

Count*r*y :-)

Friday. Can't wait!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

On 11 Jul, 15:03, "Lol" wrote:
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly
obvious - so let em have their fun:-

Hahaha!!! Kidding ;o)

1.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

Rose sawfly caterpillars.

They might be rose sawfly larvae. I don't think they're caterpillars at
all.

If they are sawfly larvae, you don't want them.

No indeed I do not.
I had heard the term "defoliant" but didn't know what it looked like until
now!

lol

Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

:
On 11 Jul, 15:03, "Lol" wrote:
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly
obvious - so let em have their fun:-

Hahaha!!! Kidding ;o)

1.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

Rose sawfly caterpillars.

They might be rose sawfly larvae. I don't think they're caterpillars
at all.

If they are sawfly larvae, you don't want them.

No indeed I do not.
I had heard the term "defoliant" but didn't know what it looked like
until now!

I've seen them in action. I can't understand where it all goes, these things
can eat many times their body weight with no sign of any waste product.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Lol
writes
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly obvious -
so let em have their fun:-

1.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

2.And (while I've got the camera out there) am surrounded by a yellow wild
flower I'm not accustomed to
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...w%20flower.jpg
wassat then - wild mustard???

Corydalis lutea. If you want to know what wild mustard looks like google
for images of Sinapis alba (white mustard), Sinapis arvensis (charlock)
and Brassica nigra (black mustard).

thanks,
lol

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for info. Good to know that is area of North London is being
colonised, not by some insidious and pernicious oriental weed, but by a most
attractive traditional cottage garden plant. makes a nice change.
lol

Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Lol writes
i know there's lots who really enjoy pointing out the blindingly obvious -
so let em have their fun:-

1.http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...aterpillar.jpg
A number of these small caterpillars are demolishing the roses -
any views on them (they eat a LOT very quickly).

Not caterpillars (they'll never grow up to be butterflies)
Rose sawfly

2.And (while I've got the camera out there) am surrounded by a yellow wild
flower I'm not accustomed to
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...w%20flower.jpg
wassat then - wild mustard???

Yellow corydalis (you weren't paying attention to the other plant id
thread, were you? ;-) )

Couldn't be wild mustard - mustard is in the cabbage family, all of
whose species are characterised by having 4 petals arranged in a cross
formation. Other members of the family include Honesty, Dame's Violet,
and Night-scented stock. Shape of flower, number of petals etc is a
better aid to identification than colour, and it's well worth getting to
know the major families - much less of a burden on the memory if nothing
else ;-)

I don't think yellow corydalis is a UK native (1) - it's a garden
escape, and it can be invasive for those lucky folks who can grow it.

(1) Although it is still a wild flower - but in S Europe, not here. Many
of our garden plants are the wild flowers of other countries (and the
rest are selected or bred from wild flowers).

--
Kay
Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes

I don't think yellow corydalis is a UK native (1) - it's a garden
escape, and it can be invasive for those lucky folks who can grow it.

Stace agrees with you; he describes it as "introduced". To add to any
confusion he has it as Pseudofumaria lutea.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley