Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What's this?

Uncle Marvo writes

fumbler wrote in message
.. .
Hope I'm not pushing my luck here! - posters have been very helpful,
please let me know if I'm becoming too greedy for info. I've got a
few gardening books with pics but really don't know where to start
looking to identify this. It looks like a giant chive. Long, thin,
clean - almost polished looking - green tubes about 3mm diameter,
almost 5 ft high, finishing with a needle point and a little pom-pom
cluster of now-brownish flowers , a ball about 4 cms diameter located
at about 25cms or so from the top of each stem. Persistent rain has
caused a lot of this to keel over so I'd like to snip that back if
it's safe to do so. Ground level? Could I/should I leave those stems
which are still upright and decorative? And what is it called?
thanks for any answers.

It's probably a giant chive. Really. Mine go like that. Possibly not 5', but
definitely 4'. Has it gone hard yet?

There are a lot of alliums (onions and chives) grown for ornamental
purposes, but they will smell of onion if you crush them, and the
flowers are at the top of the stem.

I'm wondering if this is one of the sedges or rushes?

--
Kay