Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's this?

Hope I'm not pushing my luck here! - posters have been very helpful,
please let me know if I'm becoming too greedy for info. I've got a
few gardening books with pics but really don't know where to start
looking to identify this. It looks like a giant chive. Long, thin,
clean - almost polished looking - green tubes about 3mm diameter,
almost 5 ft high, finishing with a needle point and a little pom-pom
cluster of now-brownish flowers , a ball about 4 cms diameter located
at about 25cms or so from the top of each stem. Persistent rain has
caused a lot of this to keel over so I'd like to snip that back if
it's safe to do so. Ground level? Could I/should I leave those stems
which are still upright and decorative? And what is it called?
thanks for any answers.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

fumbler wrote in message
Hope I'm not pushing my luck here! - posters have been very helpful,
please let me know if I'm becoming too greedy for info. I've got a
few gardening books with pics but really don't know where to start
looking to identify this. It looks like a giant chive. Long, thin,
clean - almost polished looking - green tubes about 3mm diameter,
almost 5 ft high, finishing with a needle point and a little pom-pom
cluster of now-brownish flowers , a ball about 4 cms diameter located
at about 25cms or so from the top of each stem. Persistent rain has
caused a lot of this to keel over so I'd like to snip that back if
it's safe to do so. Ground level? Could I/should I leave those stems
which are still upright and decorative? And what is it called?
thanks for any answers.

It's probably a giant chive. Really. Mine go like that. Possibly not 5', but
definitely 4'. Has it gone hard yet?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

fumbler wrote in message
Hope I'm not pushing my luck here! - posters have been very helpful,
please let me know if I'm becoming too greedy for info. I've got a
few gardening books with pics but really don't know where to start
looking to identify this. It looks like a giant chive. Long, thin,
clean - almost polished looking - green tubes about 3mm diameter,
almost 5 ft high, finishing with a needle point and a little pom-pom
cluster of now-brownish flowers , a ball about 4 cms diameter located
at about 25cms or so from the top of each stem. Persistent rain has
caused a lot of this to keel over so I'd like to snip that back if
it's safe to do so. Ground level? Could I/should I leave those stems
which are still upright and decorative? And what is it called?
thanks for any answers.

Is the ground wet? it sounds rather like the sort of sedges etc we see on
wet land.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

fumbler wrote in message
Hope I'm not pushing my luck here! - posters have been very helpful,
please let me know if I'm becoming too greedy for info. I've got a
few gardening books with pics but really don't know where to start
looking to identify this. It looks like a giant chive. Long, thin,
clean - almost polished looking - green tubes about 3mm diameter,
almost 5 ft high, finishing with a needle point and a little pom-pom
cluster of now-brownish flowers , a ball about 4 cms diameter located
at about 25cms or so from the top of each stem. Persistent rain has
caused a lot of this to keel over so I'd like to snip that back if
it's safe to do so. Ground level? Could I/should I leave those stems
which are still upright and decorative? And what is it called?
thanks for any answers.

Sounds like one of the Schoenoplectus types:
http://www.missouriplants.com/GSR/Sc...gens_page.html
http://fleurs.cirad.fr/s/schoenoplectus_articulatus
http://www.amanita-photolibrary.co.u...emontani20.htm

Is it growing in or near water?

Jenny

Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:44:12 +0200, fumbler wrote:

Hope I'm not pushing my luck here! - posters have been very helpful,
please let me know if I'm becoming too greedy for info. I've got a
few gardening books with pics but really don't know where to start
looking to identify this. It looks like a giant chive. Long, thin,
clean - almost polished looking - green tubes about 3mm diameter,
almost 5 ft high, finishing with a needle point and a little pom-pom
cluster of now-brownish flowers , a ball about 4 cms diameter located
at about 25cms or so from the top of each stem. Persistent rain has
caused a lot of this to keel over so I'd like to snip that back if
it's safe to do so. Ground level? Could I/should I leave those stems
which are still upright and decorative? And what is it called?
thanks for any answers.

Sounds like Egyptian onion.

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Old 11-07-2007, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| It's probably a giant chive. Really. Mine go like that. Possibly not 5', but
| definitely 4'. Has it gone hard yet?

Alliums have their flower clusters right at the top, and there are
several that grow quite tall. A. christophii, for one. But it
sounds like a sedge.

If it is a sedge, cutting it back (within reason) will not harm it.
they were commonly cropped for bedding, thatching and similar uses.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thanks for all replies...the closest appears to be the Schoenoplectus
club-rush (thanks for those 3 links). It certainly has the same
flower type pushing out of a slit a distance from the top and the stem
has a circular cross-section rather than the triangulated one. No
chive smell when crushed. It's been sheeting down here so ground very
wet.
Great!, most obliged...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes

fumbler wrote in message
.. .
[...]

There are a lot of alliums (onions and chives) grown for ornamental
purposes, but they will smell of onion if you crush them, and the
flowers are at the top of the stem.

I'm wondering if this is one of the sedges or rushes?

--
Kay
Old 12-07-2007, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes

fumbler wrote in message
[...]

Whoops! I didn't read it properly.

I'm wondering if this is one of the sedges or rushes?