Old 12-07-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default composting

"Ann" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" expounded:

I compost my grass to roll into my garden. I've been wondering though, am
screwing myself by doing that? I say that because my back 40 has quite a
bit of dandilions in it, plus I also use the compost pile for any of the
weeds I pull out of the planters and landscape islands. I'm wondering if
those dandilions are getting put right back into the garden the next year
when I put the compost into the dirt.

Unless you're hot composting then yes, you are bringing seeds into
your garden. A little stirring and hoeing should take care of them,
though!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

Okay, I just wasn't sure about that, dandilions are pretty tough little
buggers and I just didn't want to turn my nice garden into a nice dandilion
salad garden. But no I don't hot compost, just use it to add in organics
and cover over the dirt to smother the weeds.