Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default composting

I compost my grass to roll into my garden. I've been wondering though, am I
screwing myself by doing that? I say that because my back 40 has quite a
bit of dandilions in it, plus I also use the compost pile for any of the
weeds I pull out of the planters and landscape islands. I'm wondering if
those dandilions are getting put right back into the garden the next year
when I put the compost into the dirt.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Eigenvector" expounded:

I compost my grass to roll into my garden. I've been wondering though, am I
screwing myself by doing that? I say that because my back 40 has quite a
bit of dandilions in it, plus I also use the compost pile for any of the
weeds I pull out of the planters and landscape islands. I'm wondering if
those dandilions are getting put right back into the garden the next year
when I put the compost into the dirt.

Unless you're hot composting then yes, you are bringing seeds into
your garden. A little stirring and hoeing should take care of them,
though!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 12-07-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" expounded:

I compost my grass to roll into my garden. I've been wondering though, am
screwing myself by doing that? I say that because my back 40 has quite a
bit of dandilions in it, plus I also use the compost pile for any of the
weeds I pull out of the planters and landscape islands. I'm wondering if
those dandilions are getting put right back into the garden the next year
when I put the compost into the dirt.

Unless you're hot composting then yes, you are bringing seeds into
your garden. A little stirring and hoeing should take care of them,
though!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

Okay, I just wasn't sure about that, dandilions are pretty tough little
buggers and I just didn't want to turn my nice garden into a nice dandilion
salad garden. But no I don't hot compost, just use it to add in organics
and cover over the dirt to smother the weeds.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

"Ann" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" expounded:

[...]

if you are simply putting the leaves in to your compost then no problem. If
seeds then only a very hot compost will knock them out. When they are first
in flower should be ok but when going to seed best mulch the grass back in
to the lawn. That way it won't spread.

rob

Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 11, 8:13?pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I compost my grass to roll into my garden. I've been wondering though, am I
screwing myself by doing that? I say that because my back 40 has quite a
bit of dandilions in it, plus I also use the compost pile for any of the
weeds I pull out of the planters and landscape islands. I'm wondering if
those dandilions are getting put right back into the garden the next year
when I put the compost into the dirt.

When organic matter is fully composted the seeds will be composted
too... odds are you're not really composting. There is no such thing
as partially composted, it is or it's not.

Old 15-07-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

When organic matter is fully composted the seeds will be composted
too... odds are you're not really composting. There is no such thing
as partially composted, it is or it's not.

This is not true and obviously the poster knows nothing about
composting.
Old 15-07-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

My thoughts on the subject of mulch
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.