Old 31-03-2003, 06:56 PM
kate

Default Wasteland to Forest

Mike H wrote:

Rebuilding soil is definitely the hard part, but it can be hurried a
bit. (heres where our resident mushroom man jumps in-where are you Dan).

As a person who actually does restoration forestry, I've got to say a
LOT of faith is involved when starting with a just-harvested clearcut.
Still, it happens. I drive by stands that look exactly like the one on
your page twenty five years ago and now they're well past their PCT
stage and looking great.

Conservation easements between the owner and a land trust are a fine way
to ensure that forestland doesn't get developed before it regrows. I'd
recommend taking that path anytime.

Can you recommend some reading material on restoration forestry? I'm off
to Vermont this summer to 60 acres of former farmland.

Kate