Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default What makes it hot?

On Jul 12, 8:50?am, "Dave" wrote:
Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat raw,
no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year,
same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this
year's.

Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning
summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos
longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to
pick em just before the color change sets in.
Dave

I've planted seeds from the same packet that produced hot peppers of
varying degrees of heat, some plants bore very mild peppers, others
very hot. There could be other factors at work but from personal
experience I've found that each pepper plant produces peppers with a
heat level different from another plant, usually the differences are
so minor it's difficult to detect but with some plants there are major
differences. I generally plant only 4-6 hot pepper plants. Last year
I dried most of the peppers and eventually crushed them all to use
primarilly for pizza sprinkling. Some of those peppers must have been
extremely hot because all blended together the batch was much too hot
for me. Yet the few I pickled were quite edible.