Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What makes it hot?

Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat raw,
no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year,
same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this
year's.

Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning
summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos
longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to
pick em just before the color change sets in.
Dave

Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dave wrote:
Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat raw,
no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year,
same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this
year's.

Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning
summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos
longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to
pick em just before the color change sets in.
Dave

were you mad when you planted them? my pops used to swear that peppers
turned out hotter the more mad you were during planting! lol!

seriously now, mine do the same thing...last year they weren't very hot,
this year, they are hotter. every year that i have planted hot peppers,
the hotness of them has differed. my mom, sis, & I have been talking
about this very thing lately, as their peppers are also hotter this
year......

Rae
Old 12-07-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat raw,
no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year,
same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this
year's.

Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning
summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos
longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to
pick em just before the color change sets in.
Dave

Personally, I like my jalapenos hot. I'm really disappointed when they
turn out mild, which is why I grow my own. My understanding is that the
more mature the pepper is, the hotter it will be. If you want to reduce
the heat, remove the seeds before eating. If you don't want the heat,
try Anaheim peppers (which are very good for chile rellenos).

So my advice is, if your gonna eat ja-lap-pin-nos, pick 'em young and
remove the seeds. Otherwise, ice cream can help with the heat, but it
gets soft if you sit on it for too long.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 12, 8:50?am, "Dave" wrote:
Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat raw,
no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year,
same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this
year's.

Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning
summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos
longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to
pick em just before the color change sets in.
Dave

I've planted seeds from the same packet that produced hot peppers of
varying degrees of heat, some plants bore very mild peppers, others
very hot. There could be other factors at work but from personal
experience I've found that each pepper plant produces peppers with a
heat level different from another plant, usually the differences are
so minor it's difficult to detect but with some plants there are major
differences. I generally plant only 4-6 hot pepper plants. Last year
I dried most of the peppers and eventually crushed them all to use
primarilly for pizza sprinkling. Some of those peppers must have been
extremely hot because all blended together the batch was much too hot
for me. Yet the few I pickled were quite edible.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

i've always heard that eating a tomato will cool your mouth after a hot
pepper........never tried it myself, i'm allergic to raw tomatoes.

Old 13-07-2007, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

Read someplace that jalapenos can help alleviate prostrate cancer. Am of
age where that becomes a regular thing to check at the doc's office during
physical. So, don't want to modify anything regarding intake like removing
seeds or pickling. Don't know what exactly in the jalapeno produces those
results.

Are there any cases where intake of jalapenos can result in sensitivity to
heat in the extremities? Thumb, and 2 adjacent fingers on left hand have
become sensitive to heat for reason not apparent to me. First sensation is
a coldness, then, hypersensitive heat sensation when around high heat like
BBQ etc. Noticed this yesterday.
Dave

Old 13-07-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/13/07 8:25 AM, in article
t, "Dave"
wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

I'd just keep eating them regardless. I'd like to find a tasty food that
would alleviate some of the female issues.

Are there any cases where intake of jalapenos can result in sensitivity to
heat in the extremities? Thumb, and 2 adjacent fingers on left hand have
become sensitive to heat for reason not apparent to me. First sensation is
a coldness, then, hypersensitive heat sensation when around high heat like
BBQ etc. Noticed this yesterday.
Dave

Tell your doctor about that little symptom.

Old 13-07-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dave wrote:
snip

Are there any cases where intake of jalapenos can result in sensitivity to
heat in the extremities? Thumb, and 2 adjacent fingers on left hand have
become sensitive to heat for reason not apparent to me. First sensation is
a coldness, then, hypersensitive heat sensation when around high heat like
BBQ etc. Noticed this yesterday.
Dave

sounds like either a nerve damage problem or a case of someone taking
medications that state "do not be in sunlight or areas of direct heat".
that is a precaution warning (not exact statement, but close enough)
on several 'normal' medications, ie some blood pressure meds, muscle
relaxers and diabetic meds, just to name a few

but like cheryl said, sounds like something for a doctor to hear..........

rae
Old 13-07-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article et,
"Dave" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

It's the capsicum content that is responsible for the heat (in all hot
peppers) and delaying the on-set of prostrate cancer.

Unfortunately, delaying prostrate cancer is only statistically valid for
groups and not necessarily for individuals. It may not apply to you.

One thing you can count on is, if you live long enough, your prostate
will kill you. My brother had his removed at the first sign of a problem.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Prostate-C...apsicum&id=163
952

Know what you mean about the doctor. Never really wanted to know him
that well myself.

Are there any cases where intake of jalapenos can result in sensitivity to
heat in the extremities? Thumb, and 2 adjacent fingers on left hand have
become sensitive to heat for reason not apparent to me. First sensation is
a coldness, then, hypersensitive heat sensation when around high heat like
BBQ etc. Noticed this yesterday.
Dave

No idea. Handling hot peppers bare-handed, can do it for some people.
This sounds like a job for someone with malpractice insurance. Follow
Cheryl's advice, see a doctor.
Old 14-07-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article et,
"Dave" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

If I understand the plumbing right, I don't want to get rid of my prostate
at the moment. Makes life a bit boring.

The symptom of heat sensitivity is gone. The only thing I did unusual to my
normal routine is something I've never done before. I used Roundup for the
first time on my gravel driveway. Used the ultra concentrated version in a
dispenser connnected to a water hose. I had to change hands to reach around
and drag the 100' water hose a few times. Think I got some on the left hand
when changing hands with the dispenser during the water hose drag. I do
remember feeling a coating feeling on the left hand now that I think of it
later during the spraydown. I did wash my hands well in Ajax dish detergent
afterwards. Guess the deed was already done...

Went to Lowes and got more roundup this morning, applied another coat of it.
First round seems to have worked on the Buffalo grass, most of the St.
Augustine laughed it off.
Dave

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM