Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default small bushes or ground cover for bad soil

after getting my mother thru her back operation brought on, no doubt,
by her years of breaking soil with a mattock I am of the "mulch it to
death" school.

we had lousy sand in one patch. I invited the area tree trimmers to
use this area to dump their mulch. I hooked up a flip flop and had
that wetting the mulch down every couple of days. within 1 year 4
feet of mulch had become nice organic soil. wet hardpan can also be
amended most easily this way. Ingrid

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:41:51 -0700, "Eigenvector"
As to the mattock, I didn't realize they were so cheap, had I known that I
would have gotten one sooner. Oh well, off to break soil.