Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT Thunderstorms and iPods ‹ Not a Good iDea

"William Wagner" wrote in message
WOW just a heads up for you gardeners that like music.

Bill

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/.../198?query=TOC

Thunderstorms and iPods ‹ Not a Good iDea

PubMed Citation

To the Editor: The potential for permanent hearing loss due to prolonged
use of personal stereo equipment, such as portable compact-disk or MP3
players, at high decibel levels has been well described in the
literature.1 We have recently become aware of an additional, albeit
uncommon, hazard associated with the use of such devices.
A 37-year-old man was brought to the emergency department at our
hospital. He had been jogging in a thunderstorm, listening to his iPod,

{snip}

I don't see that they've made any clear connection between the iPod and his
injuries, unless they're implying that the device kept him from noticing the
thunderstorm. If that's the case, he got hurt because he's an idiot, not
because of the iPod.