Old 31-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Alan Gould

Default Brassica transplanting

In article , Patrick nospam@notnever
..freeserve.net writes
Every book that I've read about veg. stipulates growing brassica seeds
either in trays or a seed bed and later transplanting.

I know that germination rates can be iffy, and that doing things this
way means that you can transplant the healthiest plants, but are there
any other reasons for *not* direct sowing?

Why would it be such a bad idea to plant (say) four seeds at each
station in the destination bed in the first place, and later thin out
in-situ?

Any feedback welcome - nobody I've asked knows why this would be a bad
idea, just that they've always done it differently...

We have done it both ways with success but the transplant method is our
clear preference. It gives us better control over timing, and it gives
the young plants a weed free area to grow in, thus a better start.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.