Old 31-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Patrick

Default Brassica transplanting

Every book that I've read about veg. stipulates growing brassica seeds
either in trays or a seed bed and later transplanting.

I know that germination rates can be iffy, and that doing things this
way means that you can transplant the healthiest plants, but are there
any other reasons for *not* direct sowing?

Why would it be such a bad idea to plant (say) four seeds at each
station in the destination bed in the first place, and later thin out
in-situ?

Any feedback welcome - nobody I've asked knows why this would be a bad
idea, just that they've always done it differently...

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 31-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Drakanthus

Every book that I've read about veg. stipulates growing brassica seeds
either in trays or a seed bed and later transplanting.

I know that germination rates can be iffy, and that doing things this
way means that you can transplant the healthiest plants, but are there
any other reasons for *not* direct sowing?

Why would it be such a bad idea to plant (say) four seeds at each
station in the destination bed in the first place, and later thin out
in-situ?

Any feedback welcome - nobody I've asked knows why this would be a bad
idea, just that they've always done it differently...

Thanks,
Patrick

The only reasons I can think of a
1) Weeds. You would need to pull out any competing weeds as they appeared before
they swamped the brassicas.
2) Pidgeons. They are partial to brassicas - the smaller and jucier the better!
Many years ago I had a Summer job working on a farm where Kale was grown as cattle
feed. This was sown directly into the field - I'm sure commercial brassica growers
must also sow directly. I had the extremely tedious job of "striking and singling"
about two acres of Kale seedlings with a hoe - leaving one plant every hoe width
(about six inches). It took days. I remember closing my eyes when I got home and
could still see the plants!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 31-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Patrick nospam@notnever
..freeserve.net writes
Every book that I've read about veg. stipulates growing brassica seeds
either in trays or a seed bed and later transplanting.

I know that germination rates can be iffy, and that doing things this
way means that you can transplant the healthiest plants, but are there
any other reasons for *not* direct sowing?

Why would it be such a bad idea to plant (say) four seeds at each
station in the destination bed in the first place, and later thin out
in-situ?

Any feedback welcome - nobody I've asked knows why this would be a bad
idea, just that they've always done it differently...

We have done it both ways with success but the transplant method is our
clear preference. It gives us better control over timing, and it gives
the young plants a weed free area to grow in, thus a better start.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 31-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Rod

"Patrick" wrote in message ...
Every book that I've read about veg. stipulates growing brassica seeds
either in trays or a seed bed and later transplanting.

I know that germination rates can be iffy, and that doing things this
way means that you can transplant the healthiest plants, but are there
any other reasons for *not* direct sowing?

Why would it be such a bad idea to plant (say) four seeds at each
station in the destination bed in the first place, and later thin out
in-situ?

Flea beetle ;~(((

Rod

Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 AM
david

You can do what you like with them.
The chief reason for using a seed bed or trays is to save space/time and
to reduce the damage done by weeds.
40 plants in a plug tray take up much less space than when planted out.
If you allow 8 weeks from sowing to planting out for your Spring cabbage,
your summer cabbage and then your winter cabbage then that is 6 months of
the ground being taken up when other crops could be growing there.
Direct sowing with pelleted seed and the use of selective herbicides makes
direct sowing quite feasible, but with crops than can occupy the ground for
almost 12 months sowing to harvest then not so viable as direct drilling of
say lettuce. And I have in my day had to "single" many many acres of lettuce
that were drilled before the days of pelleted seed.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

brassica seedlings and pests Cat(h) United Kingdom 3 30-04-2009 02:54 PM
Brassica caterpillars control? Sam United Kingdom 7 11-08-2004 11:10 AM
Brassica virus? sarah United Kingdom 7 22-07-2004 05:12 PM
Brassica cage? Chris United Kingdom 14 06-04-2004 09:49 PM
Brassica Seedling problems United Kingdom 2 02-04-2003 05:56 AM