Old 13-07-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default What makes it hot?

In article et,
"Dave" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Last year, grew some jalapenos. They were relatively mild. Could eat
raw,
no eye tearing or tremendous urge to drink liquids resulted. This year,
same seed, eyes tear up, scalp sweats, lots of liquids after eating this
year's.

Biggest differences in the garden. Lotsa rain this spring and beginning
summer. Added sandy loam to the raised bed garden in winter. Jalapenos
longer on the plant before beginning to change color this year. Like to
pick em just before the color change sets in.
Dave

Personally, I like my jalapenos hot. I'm really disappointed when they
turn out mild, which is why I grow my own. My understanding is that the
more mature the pepper is, the hotter it will be. If you want to reduce
the heat, remove the seeds before eating. If you don't want the heat,
try Anaheim peppers (which are very good for chile rellenos).

So my advice is, if your gonna eat ja-lap-pin-nos, pick 'em young and
remove the seeds. Otherwise, ice cream can help with the heat, but it
gets soft if you sit on it for too long.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Read someplace that jalapenos can help alleviate prostrate cancer. Am of
age where that becomes a regular thing to check at the doc's office during
physical. So, don't want to modify anything regarding intake like removing
seeds or pickling. Don't know what exactly in the jalapeno produces those
results.

It's the capsicum content that is responsible for the heat (in all hot
peppers) and delaying the on-set of prostrate cancer.

Unfortunately, delaying prostrate cancer is only statistically valid for
groups and not necessarily for individuals. It may not apply to you.

One thing you can count on is, if you live long enough, your prostate
will kill you. My brother had his removed at the first sign of a problem.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Prostate-C...apsicum&id=163
952

Know what you mean about the doctor. Never really wanted to know him
that well myself.

Are there any cases where intake of jalapenos can result in sensitivity to
heat in the extremities? Thumb, and 2 adjacent fingers on left hand have
become sensitive to heat for reason not apparent to me. First sensation is
a coldness, then, hypersensitive heat sensation when around high heat like
BBQ etc. Noticed this yesterday.
Dave

No idea. Handling hot peppers bare-handed, can do it for some people.
This sounds like a job for someone with malpractice insurance. Follow
Cheryl's advice, see a doctor.