Old 13-07-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mark[_6_] Mark[_6_] is offline

Default recommended hedge trimmer

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message
Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...

petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?

I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

cheers for any advice,
g.

I've just bought one and did a bit of research beforehand.

I got a petrol one. I thought with an electric one I'd be ages running out
the electric cable even longer rounding it all up. Whilst you are working
you'd have to be wary of the cable at all times as loss of function can
occur with a severed cable!

Then it's all a matter of power and length of blade. I settled on a
Mountfield HT 55, 25.4cc engine. Cost £139.98
from B&Q who are doing them at £30 off. Does a good job. Hedge cutting takes
hardly any time compared to the clearing up.

mark