Old 13-07-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default recommended hedge trimmer

Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...

petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?

I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

cheers for any advice,
g.

Old 13-07-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:
Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...

petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?

I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

cheers for any advice,
g.

I have a 1/2 acre garden, hedged on three sides. I now have a Tanaka 2
stroke hedge trimmer. Three pluses with this:
1)It is a pole trimmer, hence I no longer need steps to do the job.
2)The trimmer is detachable from the engine, so I have a strimmer and
chain saw using the same engine, though the chain saw is a light one it
is useful when reducing the hedge size, which a strimmer will not cope with
3) It is a dream to start, I have never come across a 2 stroke as easy.
Not cheap, but taking into account the attachments a good buy for me.
Old 13-07-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message
Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...

petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?

I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

cheers for any advice,
g.

I've just bought one and did a bit of research beforehand.

I got a petrol one. I thought with an electric one I'd be ages running out
the electric cable even longer rounding it all up. Whilst you are working
you'd have to be wary of the cable at all times as loss of function can
occur with a severed cable!

Then it's all a matter of power and length of blade. I settled on a
Mountfield HT 55, 25.4cc engine. Cost £139.98
from B&Q who are doing them at £30 off. Does a good job. Hedge cutting takes
hardly any time compared to the clearing up.

mark

Old 13-07-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message

.. Hedge cutting takes
hardly any time compared to the clearing up.

Isn't that the same with all the Kitchen Gadgets available and are 'Must
Buy's' for the weak and willing?

:-((

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-07-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message
Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...

petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?

I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

For regular cutting of a really big hedge I was going to suggest the Stihl
range...

http://uk.catalog.stihl.com/katalog/...e_trimmers.htm

or perhaps their combi system that converts between a strimmer, pole saw,
patio brush by changng the head...

http://uk.catalog.stihl.com/katalog/...78/default.htm

... but then I saw the £100 limit.

Perhaps consider hiring a professional one from HSS?

http://www.hss.com/g/62416/Long_Hand...e_Trimmer.html

Old 13-07-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.
I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...
petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?
I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

I've now had 4 hedge trimmers in the last 2 years, and can safely say
that anything under £100 is not going to be much good, especially over a
big hedge length.
I started with a basic B+D electric trimmer for around £45. It was
rubbish, just not enough power to cut through any of last years growth
on hawthorns.
I then bought a cordless battery powered one, that was surprisingly good
for 15 minutes, then the power dropped, and the battery needed charging
again.
So I splashed out last year, and bought a Viking (cheaper version,made
by Stihl) electric trimmer with a cutter of 22" iirc. for £165. It was a
revelation, smooth, powerful and easy to use.
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...trimmers-00001
30.aspx

This year I have gone self-employed and needed a petrol trimmer, so
bought one by Tanaka:
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...immers-0000955
..aspx
I bought the short 18" one, as it felt very balanced when held (if you
are using one every day, you need something that feels right). the short
length cutter has not caused any problems yet, though the trimmer has
had to go back twice now because it wouldnt run correctly(now fixed with
a new carb.). When it was away being repaired, I had to use the Viking
again, and it surprised me again at how good and smooth it is.
Spend a bit more and get one, they are good, with the only downside
being a long extension lead is needed, but if it is being used at home,
that shouldnt be a problem.
Alan.
Old 13-07-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Fat Freddy's Cat
writes
Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge
is between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable
trimmers)...

petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?

I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

cheers for any advice,
g.

You will have no difficulty in finding something electric (eg Bosch) at
around £100 at B&Q or online from Screwfix or similar. The blade length
for a standard trimmer (ie not long reach) should be 60 cms or more for
a hedge of the sort of size you are indicating. A word of warning -
using a hedge trimmer off ladders is not to be recommended, particularly
if the hedge is 100 cms thick in places.

We have over 100 metres of mixed hedgerow plus another 100 metres of
mature shrub borders that need annual trimming. I started with what was
then a relatively expensive B&D trimmer but realised that this was far
too much like hard work - it would not cope with hawthorn and conifers
and was very uncomfortable to use for prolonged periods. I then spent
twice as much on a Viking 600 and wished that I had done it years before
- much less effort and much quicker and will cope with anything within
reason.

This year I have treated myself to another Viking - a long reach HEL 700
which takes a bit of getting used to due to the increased weight but is
noticeably faster than the 600 and means that I can tackle the tall
stuff safely and keep the spiny stuff like berberis at more than arms
length.

I use electric rather than petrol for several reasons, weight advantage
(although some modern petrol kit is somewhat lighter than it was a few
years ago), much lower noise, reliability (I have never had much luck
with 2 stroke in the past but again I am sure that the latest engines
are a considerable improvement on their predecessors), garden layout
with several readily accessible exterior power sockets which means that
cable management is not a problem, and we are very lucky in having an
excellent Stihl/Viking dealer who has always beaten the best price
available online.

My view is that if you have a lot of hedge to maintain it really does
pay to spend sufficient for some reasonable kit. I think that someone
else has suggested hiring as an interim solution - a good idea - at
least you could find out whether petrol or electric power is the right
solution for you.
--
Robert
Old 14-07-2007, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
In message , Fat Freddy's Cat
writes
[...]

Thanks to all for advice - lots of food for thought there.

cheers,
g.

Old 15-07-2007, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A word of warning -
using a hedge trimmer off ladders is not to be recommended, particularly
if the hedge is 100 cms thick in places.

What has the thickness of a hedge got to do with a ladder. You should
not be using a ladder anyway, you should on steps.

If the hedge is very wide, you should be using a pole trimmer
Old 15-07-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , boombangabang
writes
A word of warning -
using a hedge trimmer off ladders is not to be recommended, particularly
if the hedge is 100 cms thick in places.

What has the thickness of a hedge got to do with a ladder. You should
not be using a ladder anyway, you should on steps.

If the hedge is very wide, you should be using a pole trimmer

First phrase - 'using a hedge trimmer off ladders is not to be
recommended,'

Second phrase - 'particularly if the hedge is 100 cms thick in places.'

If the hedge is as wide as 100 cms the user of a standard trimmer would
have to extend their arms in order to cut the far side of the hedge,
increasing the possibility of loss of balance.

As indicated in my text, a long reach trimmer is safer.
--
Robert

Old 15-07-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"boombangabang" wrote in message
A word of warning -
using a hedge trimmer off ladders is not to be recommended, particularly
if the hedge is 100 cms thick in places.

What has the thickness of a hedge got to do with a ladder. You should
not be using a ladder anyway, you should on steps.

If the hedge is very wide, you should be using a pole trimmer

Out of interest...

Has anyone here used the Stihl pole pruner that's in the combi range? I was
wondering if it worked on smaller branches that were just too big for a
hedge trimmer? or do they "run off the end of the saw"?

Old 15-07-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:

"boombangabang" wrote in message
If the hedge is very wide, you should be using a pole trimmer

Out of interest...
Has anyone here used the Stihl pole pruner that's in the combi range? I was
wondering if it worked on smaller branches that were just too big for a
hedge trimmer? or do they "run off the end of the saw"?

If it is the same attachment as I was thinking of, then it is like a
mini-chainsaw, and yes, some resistance is needed for them to cut
through things.
I was all set to buy 2 or 3 of the combi-system attachments, but changed
my mind, as, they were rather expensive for what they are, they are
rather ungainly compared to a stand-alone tool, and if ever the motor
stopped working, I'd be left with 3 useless tools, rather than one if
they were bought as separate tools.
On paper, the combi system is a good idea, but I'm not convinced it is
any good for more than domestic use, and even then, may be a little
expensive for a typical garden.
Alan.