Old 13-07-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default recommended hedge trimmer

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Need to purchase a hedge trimmer to deal with a fairly large hedge
boundary - I will be working off ladders at some points and the hedge is
between 50 and 100 cm thick in places.
I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy (I have already
discounted what appear to be practically useless rechargeable trimmers)...
petrol?
electric?
blade length?
anything else I should know or care about?
anybody used a trimmer that is fantastic they could recommend?
I would pay up to about £100 to buy one.

I've now had 4 hedge trimmers in the last 2 years, and can safely say
that anything under £100 is not going to be much good, especially over a
big hedge length.
I started with a basic B+D electric trimmer for around £45. It was
rubbish, just not enough power to cut through any of last years growth
on hawthorns.
I then bought a cordless battery powered one, that was surprisingly good
for 15 minutes, then the power dropped, and the battery needed charging
again.
So I splashed out last year, and bought a Viking (cheaper version,made
by Stihl) electric trimmer with a cutter of 22" iirc. for £165. It was a
revelation, smooth, powerful and easy to use.
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...trimmers-00001
30.aspx

This year I have gone self-employed and needed a petrol trimmer, so
bought one by Tanaka:
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...immers-0000955
..aspx
I bought the short 18" one, as it felt very balanced when held (if you
are using one every day, you need something that feels right). the short
length cutter has not caused any problems yet, though the trimmer has
had to go back twice now because it wouldnt run correctly(now fixed with
a new carb.). When it was away being repaired, I had to use the Viking
again, and it surprised me again at how good and smooth it is.
Spend a bit more and get one, they are good, with the only downside
being a long extension lead is needed, but if it is being used at home,
that shouldnt be a problem.
Alan.