Old 14-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny Jenny is offline

Default What is this wild fruit?

AlanG wrote:
"Jenny" wrote in message
. ..

The leaf looks like it's in the family of cherries, peaches, etc, but the
double fruit and something about the way that the fruit looks--a bit
streaky--isn't quite right.

Can anyone tell me what it is, and if it is edible?

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden/18435483.php

It's a honeysuckle, but I'm not sure which one. Perhaps Lonicera maackii.

I think you put me on the right track. It might be "red bush
honeysuckle" or maybe twin berry honeysuckle. Now that I think of it, I
did notice some honeysuckle-like flowers along the lawn border earlier
in the spring.

Looks like they are poisonous, or at least nasty. Birds are giving them
a wide berth and we have a lot of birds.

Thanks!