Old 13-07-2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is this wild fruit?

The leaf looks like it's in the family of cherries, peaches, etc, but
the double fruit and something about the way that the fruit looks--a bit
streaky--isn't quite right.

Can anyone tell me what it is, and if it is edible?

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden/18435483.php
Old 14-07-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jenny" wrote in message
. ..

The leaf looks like it's in the family of cherries, peaches, etc, but the
double fruit and something about the way that the fruit looks--a bit
streaky--isn't quite right.

Can anyone tell me what it is, and if it is edible?

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden/18435483.php

It's a honeysuckle, but I'm not sure which one. Perhaps Lonicera maackii.

Old 14-07-2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

NOT EDIBLE. I was taught to keep hands off double berries like that.
according to raintree "PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY BLUE VARIETIES OF
HONEYSUCKLES ARE EDIBLE."

Old 14-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

AlanG wrote:
"Jenny" wrote in message
. ..

The leaf looks like it's in the family of cherries, peaches, etc, but the
double fruit and something about the way that the fruit looks--a bit
streaky--isn't quite right.

Can anyone tell me what it is, and if it is edible?

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden/18435483.php

It's a honeysuckle, but I'm not sure which one. Perhaps Lonicera maackii.

I think you put me on the right track. It might be "red bush
honeysuckle" or maybe twin berry honeysuckle. Now that I think of it, I
did notice some honeysuckle-like flowers along the lawn border earlier
in the spring.

Looks like they are poisonous, or at least nasty. Birds are giving them
a wide berth and we have a lot of birds.

Thanks!

[IMG] code is On

ripe fruit versus unripe fruit ; horse, Llama, donkey a_plutonium Plant Science 11 13-07-2007 08:12 AM
wild fruit Tim W United Kingdom 14 17-03-2007 10:10 AM
Why is that fruit known as "Queen of Fruit"? Mangosteen Australia 0 20-04-2005 08:54 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
Fruit & Vegetable Rinse washes fruit & vegetable thoroughly to prevent Isaac Kwong sci.agriculture 0 02-06-2003 06:44 PM