Old 14-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Thistletoes Thistletoes is offline

Default Night visitor

On Jun 17, 1:12 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Coons are something else!

When we were in Africa, they spoke of the baboons that same
way...altho the baboons were really dangerous as well.
Jim

Raccoons are amazing creatures, with their little hands and
inquisitive eyes. When I lived in Santa Barbara, I visited a convent
up in the hills for a retreat day. At sunset, the nuns took us
outside to show us their huge (20'diameter) fish pond. It was set in
carved stone out on a stone patio overlooking the sea. Charming
setting, but there were only lily pads in the pond. The pond was
covered, rather lopsidedly with chicken wire. The problem was the
"Brother Dog", the convent pet, had failed in his position as
protector and the raccoons had fished the pond one night. Nary a fish
remained, only the crooked peaks and valleys of the bent chicken wire
that the coons had lifted and folded back to get to their prey.

Deb