Old 15-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default SBOE Was 'what are you doing'

John beat me to it, Kathy. Yes, you spelled it right. Many taxonomists would
call it Dockrillia pugioniformis. Despite the fact that I hate many of the
taxonomic restructures, I do like Dockrillia, since it includes most of the
Dendrobes that have just leaves & stems, rather than pseudobulbs. However, I'm
told that Alick Dockrill himself believes that the genus should remain a section
within the Dendrobes.

I forget where in the US you live. It's a plant of the cool highlands - likes
good air movement & humidity, but very cool winters - at least, as far as the
central east coast of Oz can have such things at maybe 4-5000 feet altitude.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:04:27 -0700, "K Barrett" wrote:

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:27:39 -0700, bobc wrote:
Hello everyone!

Well if the xmission checks out ok, I'm off to the "Santa Barbara
Orchid Estate International Orchid Fair" on Sat. More species!!!

Bob

I'm just BACK from the SBOE sale, and bought more orchids than I have for
years. A friend and I drove down on Friday and had our pick. Places
weren't too busy, becasue it was Friday. Saturday and Sunday will probably
be a zoo.

The evil Australians here got me to buy a few native species from DUNO, who
had some of those Den speciosum complexes that Dave et al show at abpo. I
was tempted, but passed. I did get a Den pugioniforme (I know I spelled
that wrong) as well as a weird (D. fulginosa 'Black Pam' x D. convoluta
'Fiery Glow) 'Huge' x D. striolata 'Tasmania Gold' with an additioal clonal
name of 'Tweetas Rusty' on it. LOL!! Try saying that 3 times fast. I
bought these for the leaves becasue I know I'll never see the flowers *G*.

SBOE got the bulk of my $$ for a few Laelias, lundii, jongheana, a dayana
hybrid, and a few others that'll probably take 7 years to bloom. But the
purpuratas were to die for. (As always) So I bought 3. Well, one purpurata,
one tenebrosa and one Pacavia.

Weather was marvelous. The State of California was gorgeous in spite of all
teh farmland being changed to housing tracts. (Where *do* all these people
come from?) We took my friend's Prius, averaged 43 mpg at 80-88 mph, got
there in record time, (I think 5.25 hours, shaving 1/4 hour from my personal
best.) Coming home we hit the Friday Bay area traffic and it took an hour
to get through the 680 Fremont to Livermore corridor, even at 7:30PM. (We
left at about 2 and got home about 8:45.)

We call these trips bonzai suicide runs. Dang my shoulder is sore today!

K Barrett

Dave Gillingham