Old 13-07-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Was 'what are you doing'

Hello everyone!
I'm not doing anything special, but the topic got me thinking about
those of you who sell orchids. The forum is slow because it's summer
in the Northern hemisphere and I guess more people are outside, away
from the computer, on vacation, etc.
Is this time of year also slow for orchid venders?
And how many of us who summer plants outside, buy new plants and then
at the end of the season we're struggling to fit all the plants back
into their winter homes? Thinking " They all fit last year!" and then
belatedly remember there are more of them now, because of the new
purchases?
And I noticed on my Christieara (she is outside) a dead fly on one of
the roots. I wondered if it was a chance happening or if the fly was
lured and trapped by this plant. Or ... I read too many sci-fi
books! LOL
I hope each of you are healthy and reasonably happy, enjoying your
life where ever you are.
Bob Campoli - who doesn't shout when he writes and doesn't sell
orchids on or off line.

Old 13-07-2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:27:39 -0700, bobc wrote:
Hello everyone!

Well if the xmission checks out ok, I'm off to the "Santa Barbara
Orchid Estate International Orchid Fair" on Sat. More species!!!

Bob
Old 13-07-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

bobc wrote:
Hello everyone!
I'm not doing anything special, but the topic got me thinking about
those of you who sell orchids. The forum is slow because it's summer
in the Northern hemisphere and I guess more people are outside, away
from the computer, on vacation, etc.
Is this time of year also slow for orchid venders?

Slow sales for me this time of year, but I'm making up for it by an
unending stream of projects on and around the greenhouse...

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 13-07-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"bobc" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've been spending a lot of time in my gardens and working on the new
greenhouse (a Rion). Also doing a little freezing of the excess tomatoes.
All but on orchid is thriving. One phal rotted right off it's roots! I
never had that happen before but it's been very hot and humid here. One of
the dens is blooming and another getting two flower stalks. The 5 little
catts from HD are thriving, all having nice new growth.

Old 14-07-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default SBOE Was 'what are you doing'

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:27:39 -0700, bobc wrote:
Hello everyone!

Well if the xmission checks out ok, I'm off to the "Santa Barbara
Orchid Estate International Orchid Fair" on Sat. More species!!!

Bob

I'm just BACK from the SBOE sale, and bought more orchids than I have for
years. A friend and I drove down on Friday and had our pick. Places
weren't too busy, becasue it was Friday. Saturday and Sunday will probably
be a zoo.

The evil Australians here got me to buy a few native species from DUNO, who
had some of those Den speciosum complexes that Dave et al show at abpo. I
was tempted, but passed. I did get a Den pugioniforme (I know I spelled
that wrong) as well as a weird (D. fulginosa 'Black Pam' x D. convoluta
'Fiery Glow) 'Huge' x D. striolata 'Tasmania Gold' with an additioal clonal
name of 'Tweetas Rusty' on it. LOL!! Try saying that 3 times fast. I
bought these for the leaves becasue I know I'll never see the flowers *G*.

SBOE got the bulk of my $$ for a few Laelias, lundii, jongheana, a dayana
hybrid, and a few others that'll probably take 7 years to bloom. But the
purpuratas were to die for. (As always) So I bought 3. Well, one purpurata,
one tenebrosa and one Pacavia.

Weather was marvelous. The State of California was gorgeous in spite of all
teh farmland being changed to housing tracts. (Where *do* all these people
come from?) We took my friend's Prius, averaged 43 mpg at 80-88 mph, got
there in record time, (I think 5.25 hours, shaving 1/4 hour from my personal
best.) Coming home we hit the Friday Bay area traffic and it took an hour
to get through the 680 Fremont to Livermore corridor, even at 7:30PM. (We
left at about 2 and got home about 8:45.)

We call these trips bonzai suicide runs. Dang my shoulder is sore today!

K Barrett

Old 14-07-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm just BACK from the SBOE sale, and bought more orchids than I have for
years. A friend and I drove down on Friday and had our pick. Places
weren't too busy, becasue it was Friday. Saturday and Sunday will probably
be a zoo.

The evil Australians here got me to buy a few native species from DUNO, who
had some of those Den speciosum complexes that Dave et al show at abpo. I
was tempted, but passed. I did get a Den pugioniforme (I know I spelled
that wrong) as well as a weird (D. fulginosa 'Black Pam' x D. convoluta
'Fiery Glow) 'Huge' x D. striolata 'Tasmania Gold' with an additioal clonal
name of 'Tweetas Rusty' on it. LOL!! Try saying that 3 times fast. I
bought these for the leaves becasue I know I'll never see the flowers *G*.

Hi Kathy!
LOL - I brought my Paph delanatii for exactly the same reason - the
leaves!
I don't expect to see flowers either.

We call these trips bonzai suicide runs. Dang my shoulder is sore today!

K Barrett

Wow - that sounds like great fun! My orchid addiction seems to be
quiet - no big urge to purchase more. Not like in the beginning,
where each new orchid flower was a 'must have' ... days spent figuring
out how to buy them all. Moving them around on the windowsill, in an
attempt to find just the right spot. Worrying about watering,
fertilizer, relativehumidity and light. Now that I'm more relaxed
about it. They don't seem to notice! G
Bob Campoli

Old 15-07-2007, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"bobc" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My Paph. Magic Lantern has been the same. All leaves no flowers. sigh.

We call these trips bonzai suicide runs. Dang my shoulder is sore
today!

K Barrett

Wow - that sounds like great fun! My orchid addiction seems to be
quiet - no big urge to purchase more. Not like in the beginning,
where each new orchid flower was a 'must have' ... days spent figuring
out how to buy them all. Moving them around on the windowsill, in an
attempt to find just the right spot. Worrying about watering,
fertilizer, relativehumidity and light. Now that I'm more relaxed
about it. They don't seem to notice! G
Bob Campoli

Ya know, mine don't seem to notice my attentions either, LOL!! I hadn't
bought any orchids or even any raffle table tickets for over a year. So I
ws due, I guess!

Old 15-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John beat me to it, Kathy. Yes, you spelled it right. Many taxonomists would
call it Dockrillia pugioniformis. Despite the fact that I hate many of the
taxonomic restructures, I do like Dockrillia, since it includes most of the
Dendrobes that have just leaves & stems, rather than pseudobulbs. However, I'm
told that Alick Dockrill himself believes that the genus should remain a section
within the Dendrobes.

I forget where in the US you live. It's a plant of the cool highlands - likes
good air movement & humidity, but very cool winters - at least, as far as the
central east coast of Oz can have such things at maybe 4-5000 feet altitude.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:04:27 -0700, "K Barrett" wrote:

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dave Gillingham
Old 15-07-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah, after I got it home I read the tag, cooler grower...argh. I don't do
very well with cool. So its close to the swamp cooler (remember the swamp
cooler? ick.) and it gets a breeze (which the tag says it likes). So there
you are.

Apropos of nothing, I used the Charles Baker feature in OrchidWiz to look up
some of its cultural information. Gave me an idea of what to do with the
thing. A quick google search turned up most of the same info, but it was
all in one place with OW. (If you aren't familiar with the works by Charles
and Margaret Baker: they published books featuring data taken from weather
stations around the world for yearly day/night temps of areas that grow
orchids.) One of these days I gotta take the tutorial of features OW has on
their page.

K Barrett

Old 16-07-2007, 10:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have the Baker & Baker book on Dendrobes, Kathy. It's very comprehensive, &
therefore very useful. I've noted a couple of errors in their distribution
ranges, but hey, with the number of species they have covered, especially with
those from o/s, a couple of errors is very good going.

What are you doing? K Barrett Orchids 27 11-07-2007 08:33 PM
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina? chaz Gardening 91 19-09-2005 03:12 PM
What are YOU doing for the victims of Katrina? chaz Orchids 4 03-09-2005 03:13 AM
What are you doing with early grown tomato plants? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 1 08-04-2005 01:09 AM
What are you doing? Chookie Permaculture 9 15-12-2004 08:28 AM