Old 15-07-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default JCB Garden Shredder

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"davej" wrote in message
Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to

work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3 years
now ,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.

Thanks for that. I notice others have said Bosch. I would imagine that if
they work on the worm and mincer principle, they will be a lot slower,

but,
the end product will be very small which is ideal for either spreading or
composting.

Would appreciate your comments.

Best wishes

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a

Stand

Mike, there are 3 methods of shedding available in small domestic sized
shedders the first is like a liquidiser, these machines are fine for small
amounts of work but although normally cheap, are noisy, and prone to
clogging/jamming which then requires dismantling to sort out.
second sort work on a worm screw like a meat mincer, they are much quieter
and although they are slower they do pull the sticks in so once the end is
inserted you can fetch the next one while it chomps away, they tend to
produce lumps like the top joint of your middle finger. the third sort have
a revolving drum with teeth and are very similar to the worm screw type
above except they crush the lumps as they pass through and can cope with
much bigger stuff. both the second and third sort rarely gum up or jam but
in both cases have a reverse which unblocks you without the use of spanners!
Having used all 3 sorts I have no hesitation in saying the first sort with
spinning blades are a noisy waste of time while the other two sorts are
brilliant, it then depends on the amount of shredding you intend doing, in
the long run they are quicker and my wife can shred faster than I can cut
stuff down so they are not that slow.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk