Old 15-07-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default JCB Garden Shredder

In message , 'Mike'
wrote

"davej" wrote in message
Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3 years
now ,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.

Thanks for that. I notice others have said Bosch. I would imagine that if
they work on the worm and mincer principle, they will be a lot slower, but,
the end product will be very small which is ideal for either spreading or
composting.

After seeing recommendations on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup I purchased a
Bosch AXT2000 and I am very satisfied with it. Note that there is
another Bosch machine with a SIMILAR model number that is reported not
to work too well - the AXT is important in the model number.

I purchased my machine as a re-graded machine from Ebay for around £140
including postage. A re-graded machine is one that has been returned to
a store but refurbished by the manufacturer. There are one or two long
time sellers on Ebay with these re-graded products. (Don't all rush in
at once and all bid on the same machine pushing up the price - the
sellers tend to put only or two on a week and they usually go for the
original asking price).

The Bosch replaced a spinning blade machine which was absolute c**p -
forever clogging and the blades blunting.

The Bosch can have problems with soft green garden waste if that's all
you have to put through it. The worm drive tends to crush it rather than
pulling it cleanly through the machine. Having learnt my lesson I now
save harder waste. When the soft green stuff is starting to become a
problem I just feed in the harder stuff. The worm grips the end of the
harder stuff and drags through the soft stuff with it.

With soft waste it is probably better composing rather than shredding -
soft green waste doesn't need to be in small pieces to break down fast.

So far I had the machine for over a year and have given it some abuse. I
haven't had to dismantle it yet
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com