Old 15-07-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default SBOE Was 'what are you doing'

Yeah, after I got it home I read the tag, cooler grower...argh. I don't do
very well with cool. So its close to the swamp cooler (remember the swamp
cooler? ick.) and it gets a breeze (which the tag says it likes). So there
you are.

Apropos of nothing, I used the Charles Baker feature in OrchidWiz to look up
some of its cultural information. Gave me an idea of what to do with the
thing. A quick google search turned up most of the same info, but it was
all in one place with OW. (If you aren't familiar with the works by Charles
and Margaret Baker: they published books featuring data taken from weather
stations around the world for yearly day/night temps of areas that grow
orchids.) One of these days I gotta take the tutorial of features OW has on
their page.

K Barrett

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
John beat me to it, Kathy. Yes, you spelled it right. Many taxonomists
would
call it Dockrillia pugioniformis. Despite the fact that I hate many of
the
taxonomic restructures, I do like Dockrillia, since it includes most of
the
Dendrobes that have just leaves & stems, rather than pseudobulbs.
However, I'm
told that Alick Dockrill himself believes that the genus should remain a
section
within the Dendrobes.

I forget where in the US you live. It's a plant of the cool highlands -
likes
good air movement & humidity, but very cool winters - at least, as far as
the
central east coast of Oz can have such things at maybe 4-5000 feet
altitude.