Old 15-07-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?

In message .com,
" writes
What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?

Some websites say they're the same; most say they're different; none
that I've found tell me what the difference is.

To be specific, I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and I'm trying to figure
out what are the tiny-leaved trees here. If you can answer that
question, I'll be satisfied.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Locust trees are species of Robinia and Gleditsia. Acacia is sometimes
applied to Robinia, especially Robinia pseudoacacia, but more commonly
(AFAIK) applies to plants of the genus Acacia (and the segregate genera
Acaciella, Vachellia, Senegalia and Mariosousa), some of which are also
known as wattles or mimosas (not the same as the genus Mimosa).

I hope that this is sufficient information to help you interpret web
sites. (I'm not sufficiently familiar with the trees to describe the
differences - the only species I regularly see are Robinia pseudoacacia
and Acacia dealbata.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley