Old 15-07-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?

What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?

Some websites say they're the same; most say they're different; none
that I've found tell me what the difference is.

To be specific, I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and I'm trying to figure
out what are the tiny-leaved trees here. If you can answer that
question, I'll be satisfied.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Old 15-07-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

1. Good question.
2. We have two types of locust trees.
a. honey locust - Gleditsia triacanthos
b. black locust - Robinia pseudoacacia

honey locust is a diffuse porous tree. black locust is a ring porous tree.

One would have to know the type of locust inwhich to compare.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

oups.com...

Old 15-07-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com,
" writes
What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?

Some websites say they're the same; most say they're different; none
that I've found tell me what the difference is.

To be specific, I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and I'm trying to figure
out what are the tiny-leaved trees here. If you can answer that
question, I'll be satisfied.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Locust trees are species of Robinia and Gleditsia. Acacia is sometimes
applied to Robinia, especially Robinia pseudoacacia, but more commonly
(AFAIK) applies to plants of the genus Acacia (and the segregate genera
Acaciella, Vachellia, Senegalia and Mariosousa), some of which are also
known as wattles or mimosas (not the same as the genus Mimosa).

I hope that this is sufficient information to help you interpret web
sites. (I'm not sufficiently familiar with the trees to describe the
differences - the only species I regularly see are Robinia pseudoacacia
and Acacia dealbata.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-07-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Locust trees are species of Robinia and Gleditsia"

They are two completely different trees. The vessels in the Robinia which
was named after the first arborist, Robin (sic?), are arranged in a ring
porous fashion. E.g., Oak, American Elm.

Gleditsia has vessels diffused such as in maples, birches, beeches and so
on.

See wood types he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...woodtypes.html

So, first thing to establish to answer your question, is are you referring
to black locust or honey locust as far as comparing them to acacia.

There is a picture of wood in a cross section of honey locust here "Woody
Root / Woody Stem"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...%20flares.html

The black locust, robinia is similar with respect to vessels as that of oak.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...woodtypes.html

robinia can be found here (note this site the wood may be symplastless
compared to samples by SHIGO such as that of honey locust was wood that
maintained a symplast.

I have not dissected a acacia. If you could send me a woody stem sample I
will prepare it and place it under the microscope and see what wood type it
is. That can reveal a lot about the tree and its water requirements.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 16-07-2007, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Forgot to add the link he
"robinia can be found here (note this site the wood may be symplastless
compared to samples by SHIGO such as that of honey locust was wood that
maintained a symplast."
http://www.woodanatomy.ch/species.php?code=RBPS

sorry

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 16-07-2007, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 5:46 am, "
wrote:
What is the difference between an acacia tree and a locust tree?

Some websites say they're the same; most say they're different; none
that I've found tell me what the difference is.

To be specific, I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and I'm trying to figure
out what are the tiny-leaved trees here. If you can answer that
question, I'll be satisfied.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Acacia is a genus of about 600 species so it isn't just one tree.
They vary from small shrubs to medium trees and have many shapes of
leaves and habits. So I am not sure what you mean by "acacia tree"

David

[IMG] code is On

Acacia or Locust told2b Gardening 5 13-10-2005 12:54 AM
what is the difference between a 6700 and a 9700 and a 10,000 PC light Jimmy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-11-2003 05:42 AM
Whats the difference between a cultivar and a species? Peter Jason Gardening 21 17-11-2003 04:02 AM
difference between sand and clay Plants like asbestos? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
Can I tell the difference between a female and male fennel seedling? Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 1 14-04-2003 11:08 AM