Old 16-07-2007, 09:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Cyli Cyli is offline

Default Melamine in fish food

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:06:46 CST, "M. Fricker"
wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

M. Fricker wrote:

"G Pearce" wrote:

In the 50's and 60's the TV dinners, or anything else for that matter,
was
coming from China - with virtually no enforced regulation, they can ship
us anything, including ingredients in and for our food, let alone our
pets

Check your history. Trade with china didn't start until after Nixon
recognized China in 1972 after cold relations since the communist
takeover in 1949.

While I have my doubts that TV dinners were coming from China, there
certainly _was_ trade with China. It's just that prior to Nixon's
recognition of the People's Republic, "China" meant Taiwan.

Only to Taiwanese. Several billion other people disagreed.

Yeah, but Taiwan was the _recognized_, as in officially, China for all
of U.S. legal purposes. Tagging of products was a legal purpose.

Frankly, any one with any sense and a map or an atlas disagreed with
the physical reality of Taiwan being China. But the political reality
of the U.S. insisted that mainland China didn't exist. Therefore our
laws could only recognize Taiwan as China. It was only one of the
major reality disconnects of the cold war era.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli