Old 17-07-2007, 08:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default July 15 - Thistle_5723.jpg

"Mary Fisher" expounded:

OK, will do. It survived a storm this afternoon, the like of which I've
never experienced. We had 4" of rain in 30 minutes. That might be common in
other parts of the world but not in li'l ol' England :-) Our back garden
path was ankle deep in water, the hens wisely (but unusually during the day
even in rain) when into coops.

Well, at least you didn't have this! Thankfully it happened at our
Maine home, and not down here, my garden would have been destroyed.
The lightning was abolutely incredible, the bolts were thick and long
lasting and extremely close! After the first (worst) storm passed, I
opened the door and was hit with a blast of pine - the pine trees had
been pummeled by the hail and the scent of pine was thick!

The hail was literally from 1/2" to 2" in diameter (I'm going to
convert this only because I don't speak cm G) that would be 1.27 cm
to 5.08 cm. I truly thought it was going to break the windows, the
wind was blowing so hard! There's a solar light for comparison on the
second one, that stone in front is 2".
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Attached Thumbnails
July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-hail-size.jpg   July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-greg-hail.jpg