Old 17-07-2007, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default July 15 - Thistle_5723.jpg

JD
Canon 10D
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-thistle_5723.jpg
Old 17-07-2007, 11:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default July 15 - Thistle_5723.jpg - teasel.jpg

John - Pa. expounded:

JD
Canon 10D
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

That's actually teasel. I know it's a weed, but I love it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teasel

I just went to an Herb Society gathering at the John Jay Homestead in
Katonah, NY. Heard an interesting talk about Medieval Herbs into
Weeds by Deidre Larkin. Of course teasel was brought here for it's
herbal purposes,

Water taken from the cup formed by the leaves used on your face would
make you more beautiful to your beloved G

This picture was taken in the John Jay Homestead Herb Garden,
maintained by the New York Unit of the Herb Society of America this
past Friday.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Attached Thumbnails
July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-teasel.jpg
Old 17-07-2007, 01:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message

JD
Canon 10D
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

That's not a thistle - it's a teasel!

I have a 7' high one growing in the back garden, I'd planned to take a
picture of the best flower but you've beaten me to it!

Mary

Old 17-07-2007, 02:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Mary Fisher" expounded:

I have a 7' high one growing in the back garden, I'd planned to take a
picture of the best flower but you've beaten me to it!

Oh, take it anyway, Mary! The one I posted was about 7' tall, also,
but I posted the closer image.
Old 17-07-2007, 08:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" expounded:

I have a 7' high one growing in the back garden, I'd planned to take a
picture of the best flower but you've beaten me to it!

Oh, take it anyway, Mary! The one I posted was about 7' tall, also,
but I posted the closer image.

OK, will do. It survived a storm this afternoon, the like of which I've
never experienced. We had 4" of rain in 30 minutes. That might be common in
other parts of the world but not in li'l ol' England :-) Our back garden
path was ankle deep in water, the hens wisely (but unusually during the day
even in rain) when into coops.

In the meantime I'll post a picture of one in winter :-)

Oh - can't find it, just lots of teasels in summer :-(

When I do ...

Mary

Old 17-07-2007, 08:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Mary Fisher" expounded:

OK, will do. It survived a storm this afternoon, the like of which I've
never experienced. We had 4" of rain in 30 minutes. That might be common in
other parts of the world but not in li'l ol' England :-) Our back garden
path was ankle deep in water, the hens wisely (but unusually during the day
even in rain) when into coops.

Well, at least you didn't have this! Thankfully it happened at our
Maine home, and not down here, my garden would have been destroyed.
The lightning was abolutely incredible, the bolts were thick and long
lasting and extremely close! After the first (worst) storm passed, I
opened the door and was hit with a blast of pine - the pine trees had
been pummeled by the hail and the scent of pine was thick!

The hail was literally from 1/2" to 2" in diameter (I'm going to
convert this only because I don't speak cm G) that would be 1.27 cm
to 5.08 cm. I truly thought it was going to break the windows, the
wind was blowing so hard! There's a solar light for comparison on the
second one, that stone in front is 2".
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Attached Thumbnails
July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-hail-size.jpg   July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-greg-hail.jpg
Old 17-07-2007, 08:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" expounded:

OK, will do. It survived a storm this afternoon, the like of which I've
never experienced. We had 4" of rain in 30 minutes. That might be common
in
other parts of the world but not in li'l ol' England :-) Our back garden
path was ankle deep in water, the hens wisely (but unusually during the
day
even in rain) when into coops.

Well, at least you didn't have this! Thankfully it happened at our
Maine home, and not down here, my garden would have been destroyed.
The lightning was abolutely incredible, the bolts were thick and long
lasting and extremely close!

Same here!

After the first (worst) storm passed, I
opened the door and was hit with a blast of pine - the pine trees had
been pummeled by the hail and the scent of pine was thick!

The hail was literally from 1/2" to 2" in diameter

Ours was only 1/2". I do any dimension but prefer imperial.

(I'm going to
convert this only because I don't speak cm G) that would be 1.27 cm
to 5.08 cm. I truly thought it was going to break the windows, the
wind was blowing so hard! There's a solar light for comparison on the
second one, that stone in front is 2".

When was your storm?

Mary

Old 17-07-2007, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Mary Fisher" expounded:

When was your storm?

This past Sunday. Of course not a drop (of rain!) fell here at our
home in Massachusetts (
Old 17-07-2007, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default July 15 - Thistle_5723.jpg - teasel.jpg - Scottish Delight-sml_5717.jpg

Cool. Where I was taking that single portrait shot there was a whole
field of them.

JD

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:24:45 -0400, Ann wrote:

[...]

July 15  - Thistle_5723.jpg-scottish-delight-sml_5717.jpg
Old 18-07-2007, 02:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

John - Pa. expounded:

Cool. Where I was taking that single portrait shot there was a whole
field of them

Yes, that's usually the way you'll find them! G My mother has them
in her herb garden, she lets a few stay each year but ruthlessly weeds
out the rest!

Old 18-07-2007, 11:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
John - Pa. expounded:

Cool. Where I was taking that single portrait shot there was a whole
field of them

They used to be grown for the dried heads, which were used to raise the knap
on wool cloth.

There was a Yorkshire saying (Yorkshire was famous for it's wool
manufacturing):

"Like bees round a tazzle field".

It meant something like flies round a honey pot - or whatever you say in
your part of the world :-) Bees certainly do love teasels en masse but
they're not much good to honey bees when their aren't a lot of them.

Yes, that's usually the way you'll find them! G My mother has them
in her herb garden, she lets a few stay each year but ruthlessly weeds
out the rest!

Me too, but this year one even grew in a window box. It was a trifle stunted
:-)

Mary

Old 18-07-2007, 11:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" expounded:

When was your storm?

This past Sunday. Of course not a drop (of rain!) fell here at our
home in Massachusetts (

We always seem either to have too much or too little :-)

Mary