Old 18-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Nick Powell Nick Powell is offline
Registered User

Default Best time to clear out a Pond? (UK based)

Hey all,

I've recently moved into a house and inhereted a fairly small pond. The trouble is it's been left to fend for itself for some time and it's full of dead leaves, twigs and gunge. The pond is under a maple tree and not been netted for quite a while. It also has reeds that seem to be growing like mad in the shallow water

I've cleaned a reasonable amount out of the pond but am worried about cleaning it too much because it's teaming with tadpoles. I've spotted 3 frogs in the pond and countless more in the garden.

I need to pot the marginals and give the pond a good clean out. When would be the best time of year not to disturb the tadpoles or frogs?

Cheers
Nick