Old 18-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered User

Default Best time to clear out a Pond? (UK based)

Hey all,

I've recently moved into a house and inhereted a fairly small pond. The trouble is it's been left to fend for itself for some time and it's full of dead leaves, twigs and gunge. The pond is under a maple tree and not been netted for quite a while. It also has reeds that seem to be growing like mad in the shallow water

I've cleaned a reasonable amount out of the pond but am worried about cleaning it too much because it's teaming with tadpoles. I've spotted 3 frogs in the pond and countless more in the garden.

I need to pot the marginals and give the pond a good clean out. When would be the best time of year not to disturb the tadpoles or frogs?

Cheers
Nick
Old 18-07-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Powell" wrote in message

Hey all,

I've recently moved into a house and inhereted a fairly small pond. The
trouble is it's been left to fend for itself for some time and it's full
of dead leaves, twigs and gunge. The pond is under a maple tree and not
been netted for quite a while. It also has reeds that seem to be
growing like mad in the shallow water

I've cleaned a reasonable amount out of the pond but am worried about
cleaning it too much because it's teaming with tadpoles. I've spotted 3
frogs in the pond and countless more in the garden.

I need to pot the marginals and give the pond a good clean out. When
would be the best time of year not to disturb the tadpoles or frogs?

Cheers
Nick

If you've got a large tub, you can always try catching them with a small
fish net, and putting them in the tub while you clean out the pond. Then
put them back in once you are finished. If yu think that is too great a
risk, you can always wait until late fall. But why wait until the weather
gets miserable to do the job? No time like the present, is what I always
say.

George

Old 18-07-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Powell" wrote in message

I need to pot the marginals and give the pond a good clean out. When
would be the best time of year not to disturb the tadpoles or frogs?
Nick

Hi Nick, Do you know what kind of frogs you have? Just to get an idea of
what lies ahead, how big is the pond ~ LXWXD? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: