Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Aaron Hicks

Default Deflasking rupiculous Laelia

Dewitt spaketh thusly:

I purchased four tubes of seedlings on ebay from the Orchid Seedbank.
Three out of the four will go into sphagnum when I deflask them, but
I'm concerned that might not be a good choice for the Laelia alvaroana
which is a rupiculous Laelia. Any suggestions?

It can be. Back in December, we shot some pics for the website on
how to de-flask seedlings using (ta-dah!) L. alvaroana. See:

http://members.cox.net/ahicks51/osp/...1/tubes_1.html

It's now verging on April, and the seedlings are doing fine. The
trick, of course, is they must be kept dry. If your greenhouse is moist
and humid, you might find a place near the fans so they'll dry off faster,
and plaque the seedlings (with or without sphagnum packing on the roots).

They do have amazing abilities to withstand drought; keeping them
dry for two weeks at a time in 20% relative humidity doesn't make them
grow, but it doesn't kill them, either.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

E-mail address in the header doesn't work. Sorry.