Old 01-04-2003, 12:56 AM
madgarder

Default Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush?

you can leave it alone if you want. I sometimes don't cut mine back and only
prune a few branches later on.........madgardener
"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
After searching through the newsgroups, it appears that most people
cut back their butterfly bushes nearly to the ground. However, out
here in sunny California (Zone 9), the foliage on both my Butterfly
Bushes came through the winter quite nicely. One is a shrub-sized
bush about three feet tall and wide, while the other is the same
bushiness, but nearly seven feet tall.

If the bush is looking healthy, is there a reason to cut it back to
the ground? Does it flower on new growth, or does the pruning
stimulate flower production? Or should I just leave well enough
alone?

Thanks.

-Fleemo