Old 19-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Potatoes

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
David (Normandy) wrote:
:: "Donna (UK)" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi All
:::
::: I have now dug all my potatoes up that I was growing and was
::: wondering if the small tubers that are left in the ground will grow
::: again? I have heard that once you have grown potatoes you tend to
::: keep finding them popping up every now and then?
:::
::: Donna
::
:: Next year they will re-appear as "volunteers". It's always best to
:: remove every last little potato when harvesting to prevent this
:: happening. It can be a pain when lots of potatoes come up in next
:: years onion or cabbage patch. Unless weeded out they can overwhelm
:: next years crop.
::
:: David.

.... and they always survive even the coldest weather

To my mind potatoes are the number one weed. No matter how assiduously
I fork the ground potatoes remain. Then next year the blasted things
come up in the middle of whatever I have planted!